Race for the Summitt to be held March 23

March 14, 2013 at 1:17 am (Uncategorized) (, , , )

Make your plans to be part of the inaugural Race for the Summitt on Saturday morning, March 23.  There will be a 4 mile run/walk course that begins at Health Sciences Park, across from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center. If you’ve been hiding under a rock and missed all the controversy about the renaming of the park, yes, it is The Historic Site That Was Formerly Known As Forrest Park. Even having the sign stolen and being fodder for punch lines everywhere couldn’t stop the powers that be from changing the name of the park…as if changing the name of it will change the hundred years of history that goes along with it.  But I digress.  That is a rant for another day.  This day is for getting out the word about the fundraiser for The Pat Summitt Foundation.

Race for the Summitt Logo 1

For anyone who may not know, Pat Summitt was the head coach for the University of Tennessee Lady Vols basketball team for 38 years, until her diagnosis with early onset dementia, Alzheimer’s type, cut short her legendary career.  She now serves as Head Coach Emeritus and is still very much involved in coaching and teaching. The mission of her foundation, which was founded in November 2011, is “to advance research for prevention and a cure, to provide hope, care, and critical support for patients, caregivers, and families, and to educate the public on the impacts of Alzheimer’s disease and the urgent need for a cure”.  75% of proceeds from Race for the Summitt will go to the Pat Summitt Foundation.  The remaining 25% will go to the co-sponsors of the event, the American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Student Pharmacists (APhA-ASP) chapter at The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) College of Pharmacy (wow, say that  fast three times). 

The cost for registration is $25 between now and March 21, and will be $30 on race day. Packets can be picked up a various times prior to the race, as long as you register at least 24 hours ahead. If you want to show your support, but are either unable to run or will not be able to attend, you can register as a Memory Donor for $15. That will get you a cool shirt and you’ll know you were being supportive as well. The race packet has the aforementioned cool shirt, along with your race bib and race tracking system, raffle tickets for post-race drawings, and a few other goodies.  The day of the race, registration and packet pick-up begins at 7:30am and ends at 8:45am. The race begins at 9am. The post-race party begins at 9:30am with the awards ceremony and raffle beginning at 10:30am. I’m told that if it rains, the post-race events will likely be held at the Student Activity Center at UTHSC, 800 Madison Avenue. Get your running (or walking) shoes on and come show your support.  For additional information, check the Race for the Summitt website, with information and support provided by Start2Finish Event Management. 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: